KESCO (King Edward VII School Community Outreach)
This is the School’s charity and service body. Each term a number of projects are identified and collection drives ensue. The proud tradition of KESCO and the associated projects are managed by the School representatives on the Johannesburg Junior and Student Councils in conjunction with dedicated KESCO members. The eight school houses have specific staff and student representatives who co-ordinate the various drives within their houses.
The head prefect is usually a member of the annual inter-school Phoenix Foundation drive to collect canned food from prominent schools in Johannesburg. These collections are assembled at one point and donations are matched by corporates ahead of distribution to the needy.
We also host the SANBS bi-annually for blood drives. The boys are encouraged to interact with the community, do community service and to develop an awareness of the needs of the less fortunate.
The objectives of KESCO are as follows:
• Collect items as per identified projects and to raise funds for charity.
• Conduct regular blood drives.
• Use its resources to entertain / assist the elderly, disadvantaged, vulnerable or handicapped.
• Inculcate a social awareness and empathy for others.
• Encourage community service.
• To use time and energy in the service of others.
• Collect new/used clothing (including shoes), books, treats, necessities, blankets, Christmas presents, toiletries, and non-perishable food for distribution to charity. And collect paper for the Ronnie recycle project to raise funds and awareness
KESCO was the brainchild of the 2005 / 2006 Johannesburg Junior Councillors, one of whom held office as the Junior Mayor and remains part of the Johannesburg Junior Council Alderman programme.
Farewell Class of 2018 – Strenue!27 November 2018
'Never tread lightly. Leave a deep impression wherever you go.' And the Class of 2018 most certainly have left a legacy and many wonderful memories and moments. Last exam written on 26 November...
Community Drive – Red Army pledges 106 Santa Shoe Boxes!28 September 2018
Red Community Drive: Santa Shoe Box Donations Mrs Friedland reports back with great delight on the collections/donations made by KES this year: 'We pledged 106 Santa shoe boxes this year, exceeding last year's...